What you need to do for GST
If you run a business or other enterprise and have a GST turnover of $75,000 or more ($150,000 or more for non-profit organisations) or you provide taxi travel – you need to:
- register for GST
- work out whether your sales are taxable (that is, subject to GST, and not exempted because they are GST-free or input-taxed) and include GST in the price of your taxable sales
- issue tax invoices for your taxable sales and obtain tax invoices for your business purchases
- claim GST credits for GST included in the price of your business purchases
- account for GST on either a cash or non-cash basis and put aside the GST you have collected so you can pay it to us when due
- lodge activity statements or annual returns to report your sales and purchases, and pay GST to us or receive a GST refund.